Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Apparition

One of the random parts of my Singapore trip was when I turned to Kelly and asked if she agreed that apparition (magical form of transport for those people who haven't read Harry Potter- although I don't know why that would be) would be uncomfortable for pregnant women.

Let me explain- we didn't sleep a lot on this trip. And when I'm tired, my mind wanders and I ask random questions. I've actually wondered that question before, but it was never spoken before.

Here's why I thought this:

In Half Blood Prince, when Harry apparates for the first time, he describes it as

"He was pressed very hard from all directions; he could not breathe, there were iron bands tightening around his chest; his eyeballs were being forced back into his head; his ear drums were being pushed deeper into his skull."
All in all, it's not a very comfortable experience. It's constantly described feeling as though "being forced through a tight rubber tube."

Now, I have never been pregnant. But I read, watch TV and movies and I know people who have been pregnant.
And I know that, especially towards the end, having a small person inside of you is also somewhat uncomfortable.

So, to combine the two experiences sounds again, uncomfortable. If I was a witch and pregnant, I'd be finding alternate modes of transportation.

But is that just me, or does it make sense?

1 comment:

  1. Dude, that would be WAY uncomfortable. I could barely get comfortable without being squished through a metaphorical tube. Also, if a pregnant person apparates, that can't be good for the baby. Ow.

    ReplyDelete