Wednesday, May 23, 2012

My Birthday! A Recap

So, today was an awesome day. It was my birthday!

I woke up before my alarm (which is set for 6.30), so I lay there for a while just basking in the joy that it was my birthday (as you do- I know you do). I could already tell it would be a good day, because I was awake pretty much immediately and I made sure I fell asleep the night before listening to Jemma Rix's "Defying Gravity", so I was definitely going to wake up in a good mood!

Then I thought, because my parents are here for the day and I wasn't sure if my alarm would wake them up (and I am a kind and considerate daughter :P), that I should take my phone off the charger and put it next to me so I can turn my alarm off as soon as it goes off.

You can imagine my surprise when I picked up my phone and saw I had a message! It was a birthday present from Bianca, which made me smile. Then I did my morning routine of checking twitter (where I found first birthday tweet from Kelly), Facebook and emails (I was checking for reviews, not birthday messages. I think there was one or two).

Then my alarm went off (my alarm is Delta Goodrem's You will only break my heart) and I got up only 20 minutes after that (that's pretty good- lately it's been sometimes up to an hour). Mum was up, so got first birthday hug and when I got out of the shower, Dad was up and made me pancakes for breakfast. My grandmother called, so I got to talk to her and I got a few more messages and found a few more tweets- like my sunrise photo from Miccy!

They gave me presents as I got ready for school (a lamp for my lounge room, and two DVDs- Princess Diaries 2 and season 5 of Gilmore Girls, FYI- from my grandmother, who had given her present to my mum beforehand).

My walk to school of a morning isn't long, I usually get to listen to maybe a song and a half between my house and school, so it's a decision I have to make carefully each morning- which song will start my day? Today, with my mood, it was an easy choice- Delta's Sitting on top of the world!

I had an 8.30 am playground duty, which isn't too bad, I actually kind of prefer it, because then I'm done for the day. Several kids wished me Happy Birthday as they arrived, which was very sweet of them. I didn't really expect them to remember, especially the primary kids, who I don't see much.

My parents came to the school today, my Dad had arranged to come visit some classrooms and demonstrate the trumpet and cornet. I'm a very proud daughter and my Dad's a really good musician, so I was thrilled. The kids all loved it, and kept telling me all day I have the coolest dad (I agree. Well, maybe not the coolest but definitely one of the best!)

I kept getting more and more excited throughout the day, feeling increasingly loved as I got Facebook messages from family and friends; messages and phone calls from family and friends; twitter messages from friends... and Wicked cast members! I kept telling the teachers at school, and they were amazed.

Regular readers will know I've often commented on my siblings lack of communication with me now that I've moved out of home. Well, today my little brother rang me; my youngest sister said "happy birthday and can I borrow these DVDs from you?" via speaker phone when my grandparents rang after school (insert eye roll here), and my other sister lovingly posted this photo with a "Happy  birthday" message on my Facebook wall:



(This is actually a symbol of love from my sister). The teachers gave me cake at recess and a lunch (I'm special) and I got a present (a journal) from one of the office ladies (and flowers), and a book from my Head Teacher.

And then after school, mum and dad took me shopping for the other half of my bday present, and I got seasons 5-7 of Scrubs. Then we had dinner at the pub, I came home, watched Delta Goodrem's State of Origin performance and caught up on Twitter, Facebook and email conversations (more reviews- yay!) and now here I am writing this!

And now I'm going to bed. I did get a bit teary whilst out tonight knowing mum and dad are leaving tomorrow, but overall, I'm counting this as one of my top birthdays- maybe even the top!

Here's hoping the rest of the year is going to be half as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment