Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Unnaturally Green: My thoughts

I didn't want to call this a review, because I don't feel I'm anyway qualified to review books, so instead, I offer my thoughts (and some ramblings) on Felicia Ricci's book "Unnaturally Green."

Um, I loved it.

You want more than that? Ok, a bit of background- being Australian and still (I feel, it's only been 2 years) relatively new to the Wicked world, there are many of those who have flown as Elphaba that are unknown to me.

Of course, I know those Legends of Elphaba (Idina; Eden,- both of whom are in my top 3 Elphaba's, numbers #3 and #2 respectively after Jemma Rix; Shoshana, etc), but there have been so many Elphaba's across the many American productions of Wicked not even including Standbys and Understudy's.

So, you can imagine my awe and joy one day when looking at my twitter followers (and mostly wondering what on earth possessed them to follow me) when I realised that I had a follower who had been Elphaba. 


I felt supremely honoured, and a bit worried that my tweets that revolve around my Wicked fanfiction plot lines, character debates and unabashed fangirling would make me seem like a crazy person.

And then I read she had a book, all about her experience about being Elphaba. I was like "Ooh, I want to read that." The journey between adding the book to my list of "books to read" and actually getting the book was a long one, which I regret.

But I'm so glad I've read it!

First of all, Felicia is hilarious. And she writes like I imagine she talks (which I try to do, but unfortunately that involves much rambling and tangents, not to mention topic jumping), which makes you think "we would totally be friends in real life". (This may or may not be true, but I guess we'll never know!)

But what I loved about the book, besides the humour, was the insight into what it is to be a part of Wicked and to be Elphaba. Since I first saw the show in 2010, I've always felt a strong relation to Wicked and Elphaba (as have every other person who's seen the show, I know, so it's hardly original) and feel so connected to Elphaba (well, the I'm not that Girl Elphaba. She kind of suppresses my Defying Gravity Elphaba, but I know she's in there. Does that make sense to anyone?)

But after reading it, my main thoughts (besides love and the twenty minutes I stopped reading the book to look Felicia up on YouTube), was that I had so many questions about the details of what it's like to be Elphaba, and the inner details of the show.

It also made me realise how much I miss seeing Elphaba rise from the floor in No Good Deed. I think all theatres should have trapdoors! Not that it doesn't work, but apart from Elphaba rising up in Defying Gravity, that first "Fiyeroooo!" as she rises from nowhere is pretty much the most spine-tingling moment of the show.

And on a note that will make sense to no one that hasn't read the book, I really want to use "Beeblethrox" in a Wicked story now, haha. Do you think Felicia would give me permission?

So, to sum up, if you're a Wicked fan and you have a sense of humour- buy and read Felicia Ricci's "Unnaturally Green!"

No comments:

Post a Comment