Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lost in translation

So, Wicked started in Seoul, South Korea the other night with 2 preview shows.

And, because that's what I do (I need to know people in other countries appreciate our awesome cast as much as we do here in Australia), I went Googling for news and reviews today.

This time was different due to one small thing- they don't really speak English in Korea. So, I had to make do with letting Google translate the page for me.

Now, not everything translates into English smoothly. Sometimes it's confusing as you try and work out what they mean, and sometimes it's just funny.

Case in point:  One of the articles I found had this headline- "David Harris ' smile ' and petting"

David Harris is Fiyero, of course. The smile, I get. The "petting" on the other hand... it gets better. The first paragraph of the article reads:


actor David Harris 30, Seoul, Hannam blue square took place in Samsung Hall (WICKED) on the musical ', ' media call posing naked.

I'm just casually reading and then was like "wait, what?"

I need to make friends in Korea. Or at least people who speak Korean. This is the article, BTW, in case anyone wants to read it:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tvreport.co.kr%2Fcindex.php%3Fc%3Dnews%26m%3Dnewsview%26idx%3D231304

But I did read that the cast were given standing ovations. So, I'm assuming they like the show- and really, how can you not?

No comments:

Post a Comment