Friday, November 23, 2012

What I'm Thankful For

Australia does not celebrate Thanksgiving. But pretty much every Australian would probably be able to tell you what it is, when it is and the point of it all (besides turkey).
This is because Australia gets so much American movies and TV shows, we can't help but not know. I don't know if this would work in reverse... having Australian shows/movies to teach Americans about Australia...

Anyway, my point is that we (Australia) are not celebrating Thanksgiving this week, but I have a few friends and know many more who are (Because they are American). And even though I don't celebrate it, I think the central idea behind the day- saying what we are thankful for- is something that we should all do, regardless of holidays and turkeys.

So, here is my list of what I am thankful for:


  1. God- because He has led me to some amazing people, places and experiences this year; and I can't not be thankful for Him.
  2. My family-This has been a strange year. My first year living out of home and being so far away from my family and then my grandfather dying and my cousin getting married... I don't know that I've ever been more thankful for my family. Yes, some family members at time bug the crap out of me- but isn't that the point? 
  3. My friends- Whilst I am thankful for all my friends, because if life has done nothing else, it's taught me to appreciate real friendships, I am referring to two specific groups of my friends in particular: my church family friends, and my twitter friends. Like I said, being so far away from home is not easy. But it's lovely to be able to go home on rare occasions and go to church and be made to feel like nothing's changed at all and most importantly (to me, perhaps somewhat selfishly), to know that despite being so far away, I am thought of and missed. And my wonderful twitter friends, all over the country, and in some cases, the world. Who are there to talk pretty much any time of the day, someone's bound to be up! Who I can talk about anything with, and who I am myself with perhaps more than anyone. These two groups of my friends have been a huge tower of strength and support and love for me this year, and I'm so thankful for each and every one.
  4. Wicked- I am expanding this a little, just because so much is related. I don't mean I am thankful for the musical, but I am thankful for what the musical has brought to my life. Wicked has brought me the chance to see another country (Singapore), and meet the most amazing people- both the cast members and the beautiful friends I've made via Wicked. The show, characters, music and cast have also inspired me to write 28 Wicked fan fictions (not counting the one I'm currently writing) which in turn has led me to meet awesome people from all over the world as they read and review my fics.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment