Saturday, November 17, 2012

Literary heroines

So, last week I saw a post on one of my favourite websites about literary heroines. It was all about those heroines in literature that we adore, for whatever reason. For me, it's usually because I can relate to them or they are everything I want to be.

And of course, this is a topic that draws me in immediately. I commented, but wanted to share my list here too. So here is my list, copied and pasted from my original comment on the post:

My Literary Heroines


Anne Shirley- I have literally grown up with Anne and every time I re-read them, I relate to her more at a different time in her life. I'm just waiting for my Gilbert Blythe! (AN. I will also accept a Fiyero. I'm not picky). 



Elizabeth Bennet- I love Lizzie! Enough said. Does anyone else watch the Lizzie Bennet Diaries on YouTube? I recommend them to all P&P fans!!



Jo March- again, a character I relate so much to and have grown with. Actually, there's been times I've related to all the March girls- except for Amy, for some reason.




Hermione Granger- to a 10 year old girl with buck teeth and who loved reading and school and never really had any friends, Hermione became my best friend. I loved watching her grow into this brilliant, confident young woman and witch!



Also- (maybe crossing a line here!) I'm going to add my #1 heroine- Elphaba Thropp. But I want to go with the musical version of Elphaba, not the book! But I'm claiming her! LOL. (AN. I can't not have Elphaba on my list, even though I am going with the musical not the book. There's no one I idolise more than Elphaba). 



The heroine from Rebecca- although she's never named and we learn so little about her, I could easily relate to her insecure nature and low self-esteem and my heart went out to her as she struggled to find her feet and taking Rebecca's place.



Ellie Linton- from John Marsden's Tomorrow series. Ellie's so strong and she goes through so much and I love these books.



And last but not least (until I think of more and kick myself for forgetting them earlier)- Trixie Belden. I read and loved both Trixie and Nancy Drew, but preferred Trixie just because Nancy was always so perfect! Trixie hated maths, had a temper, fought with her siblings and had a not-so-secret crush on her best friend's brother. LOL



Anyone else have someone they want to add?

2 comments:

  1. Katniss freaking Everdeen, Carlie. Tough, loyal, very aware of her flaws, but you literally can not stop her from defending what she believes in. Overcomes obstacles, comes crashing to her knees, but always, always stands up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL,Katniss is pretty awesome. I forgot about her! There's just too many books!

      Delete