Monday, December 17, 2012

To My Students

Dear Students,

So, we've come to the end of the school year, my first year of teaching and my only year with you guys as your teacher.

And I can admit, in some ways, I'm happy to be leaving. Nothing to do with you guys, but living without shops, movies, city access and being so isolated from my family and friends hasn't been easy.

But I wanted to say thank you. You guys have made my first year of teaching... memorable to say the least :P I've gotten to know you all pretty well, and I'm so glad I did, because you're all great kids. And I really, really mean that.
Even the kids in the school that I didn't actually teach (i.e. primary school kids), I can say you are all lovely people and you made me feel so welcome from the very beginning.

The words "Panda Cheese" and "manufactured pop" will always remind me of my Yr 11 boys (sorry, Year 12 now), and I'd really like to thank you two boys, because even when I was having the worst day, you two could always put a smile on my face. Thanks for every time you dropped by just to say "hi" or called out "Hi, Miss!" as you passed me in the street. Sometimes it's the little things that get you through the day.

For my junior girls, we had some really great conversations in our classes and I got to do some really fun classroom activities with you two, which I hope you enjoyed as much as I did!

I'm really proud of what you guys have learned this year, even though I feel like you haven't yet quite reached your full potential!
  • Boys, I'm really proud how well you guys took to the concept of "voyeurism" and still remembered it well after the topic was over- even if you did say that Psycho had "the worst acting you've ever seen" (except for Twilight). 
  • I got one girl interseted in The Diary of Anne Frank and the other in Pride and Prejudice, and you can both now say you've seen Tangled, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. (As a 90's child and Disney nerd, you don't know how upsetting this was to me. Or maybe you do, given my reaction when this was revealed).
And then there's all the things you've learned that aren't on the syllabus or in any exam.
  • I'm really, really proud that all 4 of you (and a few more!) now know Wicked, and that R can tell the difference between "animals" and "Animals", and that S knows the significance of "Fae" and that you guys know the names of "Fiyero" (not my duckling) and "Elphaba" (although R and M will probably always refer to her as She-Hulk).
  • You have also been thoroughly educated on Delta Goodrem's music, much to the happiness of the boys :) (You're welcome :P)
  • And I'm proud that I had to give away multiple copies of the Wicked soundtrack and David Harris's albums :)
But you guys have taught me things too, which I'll always remember and think of you guys. I now know more about metal music than I honestly ever wanted to (thank you, boys); as well as other types of music that you guys have kindly educated me on this year.

And to those that came and left throughout the year, thank you for also adding something to my first year of teaching! It was really great getting to know you all as well.

So I wanted to write this (also, my 100th post- I saved it for a special occasion), just to say thank you for making my first year of teaching so special. I will genuinely miss you guys!

All I can say is this:


It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me Is made from what I learned from you
You'll be with me Like a handprint on my heart
Yes, it's from Wicked but it's true. I learned a lot from you guys, and hopefully you learned a thing or two from me! And I was super proud to be your teacher, and I'll always remember you guys as my first students.
You are all capable of doing really well and working really hard. Remember that.

Sincerely, Miss Eades

No comments:

Post a Comment