Saturday, May 25, 2013

Julie Andrews: A Musical Icon

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious: A word to say when you have nothing else to say.

Thank goodness for Mary Poppins, because there is simply no words to describe just how amazing Julie Andrews is and what an incredible experience it is to be in the same room as her, let alone hear her speak; so I can think of no better use for this word.

Growing up with The sound of music and Mary Poppins and then seeing her in Princess Diaries (1 and 2); Julie Andrews is just one of those living legends who has defined so many amazing roles. So to have the chance to go and see her love, is truly a once in a lifetime experience.

So yesterday, on May 24th, we went to Sydney State Theatre to see Julie Andrews. This was part of the celebrations for my 23rd birthday the day before, when the dates were so convenient, I decided it just had to be a birthday present from the universe.

I spent all week watching every movie I owned with Julie Andrews in it as preparation. I've always loved Miss Andrews because from Mary Poppins to Princess Diaries 2, she is always beautiful, funny and elegant. She has this amazing presence on screen, and last night I discovered that presence carries across to stage and just reality. Julie Andrews just is royalty.

Which is why is she always "Julie Andrews", never just "Julie". She's just so elegant and regal that you must always refer to her by her full name. But she is also sweet and humble, soft spoken and gracious. She just makes you want to hug her, but also curtsey. Curtsey and then hug her.

The evening was hosted by Nicholas Hammond, who of course was Friedrich in The sound of music. And honestly, he has not changed a bit. He just looks older than he did in the movie! I admit, I shed a few tears when she entered the stage, I was just overwhelmed that this was actually happening. Miss Andrews spoke for the first hour, about her childhood and her early career. And it was fascinating, I learned so much I didn't know. I could have listened to her speak forever, she speaks so well.
It was so intimate, as though we were all just sitting around her living room or something. But at the same time, she speaks... exactly as she does as Queen Clarise.

I knew that she had been married before, but I didn't know that her first husband had designed the costumes and sets for Mary Poppins. It was really beautiful when she talked about her second husband, Blake Edwards, who she was married to for 41 years until his death. She just glows whenever she talks about him, you can tell how much she loves and misses him, its so touching to see and brought more tears to my eyes. She also spoke about her experiences visiting Cambodia and Vietnam in the 1980s after the war with Pol Pot had just ended, which was so moving.

After intermission (which she announced so sweetly, just "I could do with a cup of tea or something a bit stronger, so let's just meet back here in, say 20 minutes?", like we were all friends just meeting to catch up for a coffee or something and made me love her even more), she and Nicholas returned to the stage for more of a chat and for Miss Andrews to answer some of the audience's questions, which had been submitted prior to the show.

And the first question was mine!!! I honestly didn't think my question was that interesting so I wasn't expecting it to be answered. But for those interested, her favourite Mary Poppins costume was the white frilly one she wears when they're on the painting; and yes, she can still say "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" backwards, and she did it!!

The second hour was as good as the first. There was some amazing footage that Nicholas' mother had shot during the filming of the "Do-re-mi" sequence and the boat scene, where they fall into the water. There were some excellent questions asked and the answers were so interesting. Again, I learned so much and it was so good to just hear Miss Andrews and Nicholas speak about the experience of filming the movie. She also spoke about her family and the books and projects she does with her daughter Emma, which was so interesting.

The night ended with the request from Nicholas and Julie Andrews that we all join together and sing "Edelweiss". Now, I don't usually sing out loud, but if Julie Andrews asks you to sing, you sing! No hesitations. It was the most amazing experience. It was like that scene at the end of The sound of music when they're singing at the festival right before they escape... and you just felt so honoured to be a part of that moment.

Of course, afterwards I thought of all the questions I should have asked Miss Andrews. Things like her favourite modern musicals, and the televised Sound of music stage production later this year with Carrie Underwood as Maria.

I will always cherish the memories of last night, and whenever I rewatch a movie with Julie Andrews in it (which I have already watched The sound of music again today), I will always remember that just as on screen Julie Andrews really is "practically perfect in every way" and I'm so glad I had this opportunity to see her.

No comments:

Post a Comment