Sunday, March 31, 2013

Top 20 songs from Stage Musicals!

This list was really hard. Especially when I was only allowed 20 songs total and 5 from Wicked. 


  1. This is the Moment (Jekyll and Hyde) I know- it's not Wicked, and you're all shocked. I'm surprised too. But I haven't even seen this show, but I know this song from when Anthony Warlow sang it in The Main Event, which was a concert with John Farnham and Olivia Newton John in like 1998. It was a big deal at the time. My mum and both grandmothers had the video and my grandmothers also had the CD, so I heard it a lot. I just get goosebumps every single time I hear this song. I have posted about this before.
  2. Defying Gravity (Wicked) This was so close to being number 1. Because it is the greatest moment I've ever seen in live theatre. I've been known to forget to breathe in this moment (it happened once in Singapore, OK? Let's move on) so of course it's on the list. I love Idina singing it, but anyone who reads this blog enough knows all I need to say is "Jemma Rix" and you will understand. (In case you don't read this blog that much- I really, really love Jemma. She's my favourite Elphaba).
  3. King of Pride Rock (The Lion King) I said I wasn't going to provide links in this post because it takes FOREVER to write otherwise, but this is an exception because people may not have any idea what I'm talking about. It's this moment (yes, the video is from the movie, but it's in the musical so it counts). Soaring instrumental music, and then Circle of Life reprise by a choir? What's not to love? I actually want this in my wedding... somehow. I don't know exactly how that would work yet. 
  4. Tomorrow (Annie) This is such a positive, happy song! It just always makes me happy. And because Annie is so popular, it's usually one of the first musicals/songs that kids are exposed to. I'm pretty sure it was one of the first I heard anyway when I saw the movie on TV. I've seen both Annie movies, saw the musical in Melbourne and have heard Idina Menzel sing it on her Barefoot at the Symphony DVD, and I love it. I like to play this when I'm feeling sad.
  5. The Wizard and I (Wicked) From the first second of the first time I saw Wicked, I loved it and knew it was going to be amazing. But it was in this song that I fell in love with it and Jemma Rix's voice. Plus, it's so happy as you hear Elphaba's dreams and this vision she has for her future. Of course, in subsequent showings, it just becomes bittersweet, but still. 
  6. Circle of Life (The Lion King) One of the best starts to a musical. It just sets the mood instantly, and grabs your attention from the very first second. I'm dying to see this live when the musical comes back to Sydney this year.
  7. As Long As You’re Mine (Wicked) This song is the Fiyeraba (Fiyero+Elphaba) anthem, and the big love song in the show, so of course, it's on this list. But I love that it's so dark and passionate. You can tell from just the music what they got up to in that forest ;) My favourite rendition I've seen is the third show I saw in Singapore with David Harris and Jemma Rix. It was perfect. 
  8. Finale B (Rent) So yes, my favourite Rent song is the last song. That feels awkward to me, but it's true. I love the harmonies, the melody's, the combination of songs. This finale has set the bar for all musical finales for me.
  9. No Good Deed (Wicked) Such a passionate, emotional, raw song. Again, I have been known to forget to breathe in this moment. It's so powerful, to see Elphaba's pain and desperation to save Fiyero. And (if you see the actual Broadway version, not the tour version) that moment when Elphaba rises through the floor with that "Fiyerooooo!" riff... ugh. I die. 
  10. Another Day (Rent) I love how this song switches between rock and ballad. And then how the others join Mimi at the end. The first time I saw Rent, it was the movie. And I liked Seasons of Love, but after that for a lot of the time, I wasn't sure whether I was going to see this through to the end. Another Day got me hooked. 
  11. Part of Your World (Reprise) (The Little Mermaid) Part of your world is a beautiful song all on its own. But to then have the reprise, which builds upon the inital song and have the big belting notes, that gets me every time- movie or musical (which I have only seen bits of on YouTube, but am hoping it comes to Australia one day. My friend Kelly and I think David Harris would be an awesome Prince Eric. We have our reasons!)
  12. I'm Not That Girl (Wicked) This is such a heartbreaking song. And I don't think I know any girl who's seen it and hasn't related to this song. (I haven't asked any of the guys I know who have seen the show). Your heart just goes out to Elphaba in this song.
  13. I Dreamed a Dream (Les Miserables) Another song full of raw emotion. I don't know what I can say about this song. I think though we can all relate to dreaming, and that pain that comes with those dreams not coming true. Plus, I mean the Lea Michele/Idina Menzel duet version on Glee? Pretty amazing. 
  14. The Lonely Goatherd (The Sound of Music) This is just such a fun song! It always gets stuck in my head after I watch The Sound of Music. It makes me smile every time. Plus, I like puppets.
  15. Beyond My Wildest Dreams (The Little Mermaid) I think I love this song because of the tune. If you listen to it, you'll know what I mean. But I also relate to how Ariel is feeling in this song. That feeling when you're in a place you've only dreamed about and you can't even fathom that this is reality. 
  16. Somewhere Over the Rainbow (The Wizard of Oz) It's a classic. Need I say more? I never get tired of this song. At the moment, my favourite version is by Katharine McPhee as can be seen here (thank you very much, Smash pilot episode for making me realise this existed!)
  17. Beauty and the Beast (Beauty and the Beast) Such a beautiful ballad. "Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme, Beauty and the Beast." I never get tired of listening to it. 
  18. Any Dream Will Do (Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat) "I close my eyes, drew back the curtains, to see for certain what I thought I knew. Far far away, someone was weeping, but the world was sleeping any dream will do." I think I just love this tune! It's so catchy! But I was first introduced to this song through the movie, which has Donny Osmond who my mum loves, so that could be a factor.
  19. I Have Dreamed (The King and I) I've only seen The King and I once when it was on TV, and to be honest I prefer Anna and the King (even though it's not a musical). But I heard this song when David Harris sang an arrangement of this and "Maria" from West Side Story, and I kind of fell in love with it. 
  20. I Still Call Australia Home (The Boy from Oz) I'm a patriot. That's the whole reason this song is on this list. I love Australia, so I love this song. I used to be glued to the TV whenever the Quantas ad was on growing up (when they used this song for their ads, of course). "Someday we'll all be together once more, when all of the ships come back to the shore. Then I realise something that I've always known, I still call Australia home." 
Honorable Mentions (AKA "Songs that just missed out"):

  1. Chip on my shoulder (Legally Blonde)- especially when sung by David Harris!
  2. For Good (Wicked)- just because I was only allowed 5 Wicked songs
  3. Without Love (Hairspray)
  4. Phantom of the Opera (Phantom of the Opera)
  5. On my own (Les Mis)

No comments:

Post a Comment