Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Book review: The Storyteller


The first Jodi Picoult book I ever read was The Pact. I was in Year 10, and my English class was studying John Marsden’s Letters from the Inside. My teacher, knowing how much I enjoyed reading, asked if I had read it before. I had, and had also studied it at my previous school the year before. She didn’t really see the point in me studying a book I’d read and studied before, so she said she’d give me something else to read. And she handed me The Pact.

I was hooked. It was gripping, full of great characters, plot twists and it was well written. I cried whilst reading it and it stayed with me for days after. Then I read any others I could get my hands on, starting with My Sisters’ Keeper, which had the same effect on me.

I’ve read all of her books, and enjoyed the vast majority, but her latest, The Storyteller, is the first to have the same impact on me that The Pact and My Sisters’ Keeper did. I’m talking about that complete inability to stop reading until you’ve finished, and when you get to the end, you need a moment to stop and recover.
The Storyteller is incredibly gripping, full of surprises and filled with characters I’m rather hoping Picoult finds a way to slip into future books- like Leo Stein, an attorney for the Justice Department. I cried, there were times I gasped aloud and felt sick, and quite honestly forgot I was reading a fictional story.

The novel, Picoult’s 20th, is the story of Sage Singer a recluse, loner baker who pretty much hides away from the rest of the world. Through a grief counselling group where she comes to try and come to terms with the death of her mother three years ago, she meets and befriends an elderly man beloved by the town as retired German teacher and little League coach, Josef Weber.

The main plot of the story kicks off when Josef comes to Sage with a request- to help him die. Sage is appropriately horrified and questions the matter. This isn’t a case of an old man being terminally ill and wanting to end his suffering- Josef is quite healthy. But he tells Sage that she needs to kill him, because he deserves death.  The story then switches between Sage and Josef’s perspectives as Josef tells her his tale, of being an SS soldier in Nazi Germany during WWII. Believe me that this is giving nothing away from the story.  Oh, one small detail I didn’t mention- Sage, despite her lack of faith, is of Jewish heritage.

The Holocaust is one area of history that has always captivated me, and as a result, I tend to devour most literature and movies that are set in that time period. I’m not really sure why it grabs me so... maybe it’s because no matter how much I read on the subject, I am still unable to comprehend the ability to commit genocide and lead six and a half million people to their deaths. Maybe it’s because I read The Diary of Anne Frank at 13 (the same age Anne was when she went into hiding), and still relate to her and mourn her. I’ve been to the Jewish Museum in Sydney twice and have met and heard the stories of three Holocaust survivors in reality and seen and heard the stories in many documentaries.

This is the part of the book that drew me in most, kept me frantically turning pages and refusing to put the book down, and that made me cry and hurt most. It also horrified me the most.  Picoult has clearly done her research on this subject, as she does every other subject she writes about.

And as many of her books do, it raises incredible moral and ethical questions, as asked by the back of the book itself:

What do you do when evil lives next door? Can someone who’s committed horrendous acts ever truly redeem themselves? Is forgiveness yours to offer if you aren’t the person who was wronged?”

As Sage, and the reader, tries to understand these questions and Sage and Leo Stein, the aforementioned Justice Department attorney try and investigate Josef’s claims; the story is interwoven with a fictional tale full of mythical creatures, which become more and more significant on several levels as the book progresses.
And something else to note about The Storyteller- it will make you hungry. Seriously. Several characters are bakers and in the less horrifying (but in a good way) parts of the story, you will want nothing more than baked goods. For me, it was all about visions of fresh bread with nutella (not because that was specifically mentioned, nutella is just my first preference for everything) but there are many delicious sounding treats throughout the book.

This is my favourite Jodi Picoult book, maybe since Nineteen Minutes. I definitely recommend this book to everyone, especially those who are interested in history. If you have personal experience with the Holocaust, you might find some parts distressing, just a word of caution.

Anyway- READ THIS BOOK! 

No comments:

Post a Comment