Thursday, March 14, 2013

My Top 10 Delta songs: Singles

I was having a conversation about Delta with a friend the other day, and we were comparing our favourite songs. For me, there's two categories of Delta songs: Single Songs and Album Songs. Singles are obviously ones that were released as singles, and Album songs are ones that are just tracks on the album.

There's also little sub-categories: B-side Single songs, Songs Leaked Online That Have Never Seen The Light Of Day, Christmas Songs, Cover Songs (These are usually performed at her concerts), Songs Done With Other Artists (ie. Songs on albums that aren't a Delta album) and what I deem Filler Songs- songs that I don't love or listen to, they're just kind of there to fill out the album. (I think that's all, but I reserve the right to add more categories as I think of them!)

So after that discussion, I thought it would be fun to every so often, do a post on one of these categories and do a little list of my favourite songs in each category. It'll be either 5 or 10, depending on how many songs are in each category. 

First up- Singles. I'm counting in terms of from her first album, so I'm not including her first single which was her first attempt "I Don't Care". 

Over ten years and four albums, Delta has released (so far) 17 singles. I'm picking my top TEN (I was going to do 5, but that was way too hard). This is really, really hard because I love them all. The full list of singles will be down the bottom if anyone is interested. 

Number 10: Out of the Blue
This was Delta's first single of her 2nd album, Mistaken Identity and first single after coming back from her battle with cancer. And like the first single from her last three albums, it's a happy song! But it kind of builds up, and it's just... it's really about coming out from a dark period and experiencing happiness that you didn't see coming. And I think that's a great thing. The version she did in her Believe Again tour is also absolutely beautiful with a new arrangement (follow the link). And yes, this is where I got the title for my Wicked fic of the same name.



Number 9: Believe Again
This was Delta's 2nd single from her third album and I think I love this because it's so dramatic. With the strings (which I adore), and there's mist and... sigh. Plus, it's a love song, but it's not... gushy? "I lost my faith in love, but now I believe again." That's it. It's so simple and beautiful. Plus, this clip made the record (which I think still holds) as the most expensive music video made in Australia ever




Number 8: Not Me, Not I
Blair Mcdonough
Delta's first single after her diagnosis. Apparently this song is about her ex-boyfriend and Neighbours co-star, Blair Mcdonough, who I think we can agree is the cutest of all Delta's exes. Anyway, the music is gorgeous (more strings! I do love strings in songs), it also has a touch of the dramatic with the candles, moonlight, owls, etc. And the effects are awesome. I love that the message of this song is really "You broke my heart, but I'm not going to give you the satisfaction of crying about it." It's kind a 'screw you' in ways, LOL.




Number 7: Lost Without You
So this is the more typical break up song, and a lot of people thought this song was about Blair, even though Delta didn't actually write this song, haha. I love a good ballad, and this is a good ballad. It's a song that you can build up or strip down (like so many of Delta's songs) and it's still so beautiful. Plus, she has some really gorgeous clothes in this video (actually all of her videos... and real life...). 




Number 6: Innocent Eyes
 I spent so much time watching this clip when it first came out just wanting Delta's dress, haha. But I love this song because it's catchy ("Da da da da da da da da da da da da" Trust me on that) and it's really about growing up and trying to keep hold of your innocent and the feelings and memories of your childhood, which I fully support. And there's the awesome piano bit in the middle, which Delta took up to the next level in her last tour.



Number 5: I can't break it to my heart
Like I said, I love a good ballad. Especially a good breakup ballad. I was a bit disappointed in the film clip for this song, because I thought it could have been awesome if they'd recreated the story of the song. But well, what are you going to do? Plus, the live footage they have? I was totally there. Well, maybe not right there, she only did 2 of those shows and I was there for one. But it's a gorgeous breakup song, and it's heart wrenching. 

Number 4: Born to Try
A Delta classic. Her first single, and the song that started it all! A beautiful ballad about life, with a really positive message. I don't think you can ever get tired of listening to this song. I still remember the first time I heard it, and it's still relevant all these years later. 



Number 3: Wish you were here
Oh boy. This song had to make the list. The saddest song. Delta wrote this for a friend of hers who died in a motorcycle accident and it's... heartbreaking. And that's why I love it. There's really nothing more to say on this. Just watch.



Number 2: Sitting on Top of the World
Happy song! This is Delta's (and mine) "sunshine song." It's so damn happy. Whenever I'm feeling sad, I just play this and it makes me feel better. 



Number 1: In This Life
In this life. Another love song that isn't gushy, it's just perfection. It starts off with a bang, and just... it's another happy song, which I love. I think we need more love songs that are happy. 




FULL LIST OF DELTA SINGLES (there are links to those songs that didn't make the final cut if you want to listen. I also numbered them in order of my preference)

  1. Born to Try
  2. Lost Without You 
  3. Innocent Eyes
  4. Not Me, Not I
  5. Predictable (#15)
  6. Out of the Blue
  7. Mistaken Identity (#17)
  8. Almost Here (Duet with Brian McFadden) (#12)
  9. A Little Too Late (#14)
  10. Be Strong (#11) This was so hard to cut. This song has gotten me through so much.
  11. In This Life
  12. Believe Again
  13. You Will Only Break My Heart (#13) SUCH a fun song. 
  14. I Can't Break it to My Heart
  15. Sitting on top of the World
  16. Dancing with a Broken Heart (#16) 
  17. Wish you were here

No comments:

Post a Comment