Tuesday, March 12, 2013

5 Creepiest Animals



When people think of animals, they usually think of things like puppies, horses, birds... stuff from cartoons, Disney films and calendars. I've always found it really hard to pick a favourite animal, especially when I go to the zoo and am overwhelmed by the adorableness of animals. The lion held a high spot ever since I first saw The Lion King and animals like dolphins, wolves, pigs (probably helped by Charlotte's Web) and monkeys have popped up in the #2 spot over the years.

There are animals I don't like, of course- spiders (oh, the spiders. They must die. Ironically, Charlotte's Web didn't help with that); snakes; and sharks, just to name a few. 

My point is, there are some entirely creepy animals out there. This is my list of my top 5:

5. BATS 
Bats are number 5 because I don't find them that creepy to look at. I know they're vermin and there is the vampire bat and thank kind of thing. Mostly they're on the list because they have that tendency they have in every movie and TV show to fly in people's hair. Which is really creepy. 


4. FROGS
Now, there is a large possibility that I inherited this fear from my grandmother, who loathes frogs after growing up and repeatedly finding them in her house. And at certain times of the year, you would find them on windows of our house, which I found kinda cool and pretty cute. 
But I refused to go outside at night, lest I should step on one or something. This was after I was sent out to put some garbage in the bin and accidentally touched a frog sitting on the lid in the dark.
I know they won't hurt me, but I'm not big on anything slimy apparently. 
And some are poisonous, and they can jump.




3. SHARKS

I think this picture explains everything. The eyes, the teeth, the attacks on humans... I don't even swim and they scare the crap out of me. And I don't know about everywhere else, but in Australia, they get hyped a lot. 
And the way the media portrays it, they're getting closer and closer to shore every summer. 
I think one reason I love dolphins is in addition to being smart, cute, friendly and awesome, they have been known to attack sharks to help humans under attack. 

2. SPIDERS
I don't know why I've never liked spiders. Maybe it's because some of them can kill you. Maybe it's the fact they have 8 legs. I feel like 8 is too many. Why do they need 8 legs? I don't really like anything that crawls. And it's not just legs, they also have excessive eyes. 
All I have to do is hear about a spider and I shudder. If one is in my room, someone has to kill it. Not me, someone else. I won't leave the room until it's dead, because I have to keep it in my sight at all time. If I lose it, I will not be going back in the room until someone finds it and gets rid of it. 

I actually went to get a picture for this post and got so freaked out that this cartoon spider is the closest you will get. 










1. OCTOPUS 
This is rather recent. It's only been in the past few years that octopuses (octopi? I can never remember the plural for an octopus) have really creeped me out. I think it was actually the Disney encylcopedia on the DVD for The Little Mermaid that really made me realise how creepy they are, simply because I never really knew much about them.

So, the octopus: A creature that has no bones, can squeeze itself into a tiny crack under a rock to wait for its prey, again has 8 legs and has been known in captivity to climb out of their tanks, and climb into another tank to steal fish. Studies have been done and it's been proven they have great memories and can hold grudges. 

Is anyone wondering why I gave them the #1 spot? Plus, they also look creepy.

See?

No comments:

Post a Comment