Friday, October 12, 2012

Jemma Rix

On Sunday October 7th, 2012, the Australian production of Wicked closed in South Korea.

This was depressing on many levels, not least because I never got to Korea to see it. And as I've seen it in every place it's been so far except for Melbourne and Adelaide, it was sad.
And also, because unlike when it closed everywhere else, this time we hadn't heard where it was going next, and all the cast were tweeting really sad farewell messages... ugh. It was a highly depressing day.

So, there's rumours that the show will be going to New Zealand and then back to Australia to play in Sydney and Melbourne, but the only official word we've had so far is that Wicked is "hanging up it's jewelled shoes to take a bit of a break and decide where it wants to land next". We have no idea where/when that will be or who the cast will be, so more sadness; because our cast is extremely talented and full of some of the lovliest people I've ever met.

But there was a good thing amongst all the sadness!

Jemma Rix (our amazing Elphaba) performed her 800th show as Elphaba on that day. And it also gives her the record for the most number of shows in English as Elphaba, which is such an amazing achievement.



And I'm super proud this record was set by an Australian!

Jemma is such a lovely person and such an amazing Elphaba. I'm going to put up a clip from YouTube of her Defying Gravity, but honestly, it just doesn't do her justice.


Jemma and I at WICKED stage door in Singapore in April 2012

Seriously, this is the woman who made me cry in the lobby of the theatre in Singapore when we could hear the end of Defying Gravity from the lobby (we were just buying merchandise the night before we saw the show, LOL).
And then the second time I saw the show in Singapore (my 6th time total), I didn't breathe from the time Elphaba rose up in Defying Gravity, and then I cried (embarrassingly) all through intermission.

So, Congratulotions, Jemma!

PS. It's only audio of her Defying Gravity, it's super hard to find video that is good quality. This is audio I found on YouTube from the Seoul season.




No comments:

Post a Comment