Monday, February 6, 2012

A rose by any other name...

One of my favourite movies of all time is Disney's Beauty and the Beast. I don't know what it is... maybe it's because I relate to Belle, with her love of books and the fact that everyone in the town thinks she's odd.


Or it could be the moral of the story, not to judge a person by their appearance (and it also helps to be kind to strangers on the off chance they're an enchantress in disguise).
The music is beautiful, and the love story between the Beast and Belle is so beautiful (the rooftop scene? When the Beast just had to let her go to her father, knowing his chance to break the spell was over if he did... sigh).


But one of my pet peeves, is that the Beast does not have a name. He's always just "Beast". And then once, whilst reading on IMDB, I read that Disney did in fact give the beast a name. The CD-ROM tie-in game The D Show, revealed that the Beast's name is.... Adam.


Now, as a writer, a reader and someone who for a long time hated my own name, I've always loved names. Of course I use them in my writing, and take pride and put so much thought into the names I give my characters (naming my children is going to be so hard). 


And that's one reason I was annoyed at the Beast's lack of name. But having him named Adam annoys me even more.


Apparently, Adam is Yiddish for "man", and if you know your bible stories, of course there's Adam and Eve, the first man and woman. So, I kinda get Disney's reasoning. Except for one minor thing:


The movie is set in France. Everyone has a French name, from the most major character (Belle, of course) to the minor townspeople. "Adam", as I just said- is Yiddish. Which is not French!


Of course, this doesn't stop me from watching and loving the movie. 


But thought I'd share my rant about this with you all. My friends are used to it, LOL. I have a great rant on the stupidity and plot holes in Snow White too, but I'll save that for another day, shall I?

2 comments:

  1. GURL I FEEL YOU.

    But just because it's set in France, that does not mean everyone there is FRENCH. That's like assuming that everyone in an Australian movie MUST have Australian accents unless it's a designated part of their character.
    And once again, you are missing the prime point: WHERE THE JIGGLYPUFF ARE THIS DUDE'S PARENTS? AND WHAT HAPPENED TO BELLE'S MOTHER? AND WHY AREN'T CHIP'S SIBLINGS ALSO SUPPORTING CHARACTERS? AND WHAT EXACTLY IS A TRUE HUFFLEPUFF ANYWAY?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But he's a prince. Why would there be a foreign prince living in a castle in France?
      I'm going to assume Belle's mother died. I agree with you about the Beast's parents, and Chip's siblings.
      And a true Hufflepuff... that is a mystery we will never solve :)

      Delete