Monday, February 27, 2012

Grandad

My grandfather died over the weekend. He'd been sick for a long time, but I still wasn't prepared for the news he was actually gone.

And by a fluke, I was home with my family this weekend.

I have so many memories of my Grandad, and I'm glad that the good outweigh the ones where he was sick.



I remember how much my siblings and I always loved going to stay with Grandma and Grandad in the school holidays, because it meant every morning, Grandad would make us chocolate millkshakes- and they were really, really good milkshakes.

Every time they came over to our house, Grandad would announce their arrival with a whistle. We heard it and immediately knew who it was- which meant when their visit was a surprise, it was awesome.


Then there's the hugs. My grandfather was a good hugger. And he'd always talk to you as he hugged you. I can't speak for my siblings and cousins, but for me it was always that he loved me, I was beautiful and I was his favourite second-eldest granddaughter (conveniently :P)


My parents have never been big on terms of endearment. There's home movies from when I was little where Dad calls me "possum" or "darling" but for as long as I can remember, they mostly call us (besides our names), "mate" or "boofhead" which did become a term of affection in our house.

Grandma and Grandad however, always call us "darling" or "sweetheart". The last time I ever spoke to my grandfather, his last words to me were "OK, darling".



Grandad was always so proud of his family, and especially his grandchildren. Every time I visited Grandad in hospital, all the staff knew I was his granddaughter who was going to be a teacher.

And the last time I actually saw him, he was in hospital (again) and as he didn't have the strength to hug me, just squeezed my hand my whole visit. And when I left, knowing I'd never see him again, he told me he loved me, he was proud of me, and I was going to be the best teacher in New South Wales.



The memory that sums Grandad up to me most though, it that even though he was sick and probably shouldn't have been travelling, he made the 4 hour trip to come to my 21st birthday party last year.
He was determined to be there, and said he wouldn't miss it for anything

And that meant the world to me.

I love you Grandad, and I'll miss you.

Promoted to Glory 25.2.2012

1 comment:

  1. Carlie, reading that post (cause I REALLY need to catch up on your blog) made me so warm and I may have actually just cried sitting in Biology! Your grandfather sounds like an amazing man and I can tell from that, that he loved you dearly, which is what everyone wants. My thoughts were with you when he passed away and they still are. Be strong Carlie, we love you! xx

    ReplyDelete