Sunday, December 11, 2011

One Night With the King

So, this is the trailer for the movie One night with the King, which obviously if you're reading this, you know is the basis of my current FF.
I'd always liked the story of Esther- I mean, hello, she gets picked to be Queen! But well, as anyone who's read the bible will tell you, they don't go into much detail.
Then last year, my minister at church was doing a clean out, found the book and thought of me (which made me feel special, because I like knowing people are thinking of me). I read the book, and then went on a six-month search to find the movie.
I found it in April this year. When I'd read the book, I thought of Elphaba and Fiyero, wrote down the idea of doing a Wicked version, stored it in the folder on my computer marked "Stories incomplete" (i.e. in progress stories, summaries of stories I intend to write) and that was about it.
When I saw the movie, I knew I had to actually write it, that the story was not intended to be one of those summaries that sits there for six months and then I re-read it and go "I can't write that" and delete it.
This is the first FF I've really based off something else. Sometimes a scene or an idea might come from a book/movie/TV show, but I'd never actually based a fic on something (except my series of Once Upon a time, of course but that's a bit different).
So, ONWTK presented a lot of challenges for me as an author. My first AU fic- which elements of the show and characters would I bring across with me? Which parts of the book and movie of ONWTK would I use, and which bits did I want to change?
There's a lot of political stuff in this fic, which is also a challenge. If anyone follows me on twitter, you would have seen me whining about how hard it is. I'm not politically minded. So, for me to have to write politics... not easy.

But I thought I'd post the trailer for the movie. It might influence you to watch it or read the book, or maybe it might make you really impatient for the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment