Saturday, February 16, 2013

I'm tired

I've dreamed of being a teacher since I was 7 years old, it's all I've pretty much ever wanted to do. And in 2011 I fulfilled that dream, completing my Graduate Diploma of Education and qualifying as a High School English and History teacher. And a few weeks before graduation, I got a phone call. Telling me that there was a job for a year in Quandialla for a year, and did I want it? I had no idea where Quandialla was, but I figured a job was a job, it was only for a year and it would be a good experience.

Quandialla it turned out, was a tiny town in Western NSW, about an hours drive from Young. There was about 30 kids in the entire school from Kindergarten to Year 12. I moved out there, moving out of home for the first time, moving four hours away from all my family and friends. It was the scariest thing I've ever done. It was a difficult year, but also rewarding. The kids were great, and I learned a lot, but I was terribly homesick.

By term 3, term 4, I started applying for jobs, knowing my contract was up at the end of the year. Nothing but rejection letters. At the end of last year, I said goodbye to the kids and the other teachers and moved back home. Which is not all fun- it's a long story, but basically my family is living with my grandparents so there's 8 of us in a 4 bedroom house and I'm sharing a room with my 17 year old brother.
And I'm still unemployed. Still getting nothing but rejection letters, which are really feeling like a giant "You suck" from the universe. I haven't been unemployed since I was 16, and that was only a month between part time jobs.

I've got my name down for casual work at almost every school in the local area, and still nothing. Part of me knows that this is only going into week 4 of term, so it's not quite at the stage where heaps of teachers are calling in sick yet, but my self-esteem is still taking a blow, which has never been great with to begin with.

The thing is, many people, well meaning people, keep asking me how the job search is going. A lot. My parents, my grandparents, people at church, Facebook friends, former colleagues. And the more people ask, the more I feel like shooting myself (figuratively). Even worse is when people suggest I simply go back to Woolworths,where I worked for 5.5 years through high school and uni- which was kind of the point of uni, so I wasn't going to be a checkout chick forever.

I just... I feel stuck. And depressed. And thoroughly discouraged. Now I'm wondering if I'm truly meant to be a teacher after all. Otherwise, wouldn't I have a job? And I am trying. But the thing is- uni spends a whole year trying to tell us how to teach. But they wait until the last day to give us a 20 minute talk on how to apply for jobs? And that's not even taking into account what I've been learning recently- that every school, every panel, every person going through the piles of job applications every time they want to hire someone- is looking for something different. And they're not going to tell you what they want. You apparently have to guess, or read minds.

I am depressed. I am stressed. I don't sleep well. I cry a lot. Over everything. I pretty much only eat when I feel really sick because I haven't eaten- not because I'm starving myself or anything, I'm simply not hungry and forget to eat. And then I generally eat dinner, because by that time of night, I am hungry.

And I've thought of trying to find other work- not in teaching. I know, I know. I'm 22, I have the rest of my life to teach... but I have no skills. I've never done admin or office work. I can pack groceries really well (seriously, I got compliments on it from customers). I can write (If I could get paid for writing fairly decent fan fiction, I'd be set). I'm a good teacher... well, I thought I was a good teacher, or at least becoming a good teacher.

It's so tempting to give up, but I don't want to give up. I don't want to be a quitter. I've never really quit anything (well, I quit Economics at school, but I hated that). I just... I don't know what to do any more.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Vinkunwildflowerqueen:

    You're not alone. I’m 23 years old, and I'm going through almost the same thing as you are. I graduated from university in December 2011 with a Graphic Design major, and I'm still unemployed. I've had a few freelance projects here and there but nothing full-time which is what I'm looking for. I've been trying everything I can think of when it comes to applying for jobs, as well as doing things that people suggest; but nothing seems to go through. I know what you mean when people keep asking you how the job search is going, as well as when you receive rejection letters. Every time it feels like someone is punching you in the stomach and saying "you're not good enough," as well as reminding you that you're still unemployed. I've also been constantly depressed, and at times been breaking down in tears. There have been plenty of times when I second guess my major and feel like I want to give up, but like you I love what I do and I don't want to give up. I'm still in the process of applying for graphic design jobs, as well as applying for some administrative work. I'm even applying for some part-time jobs just to have some income coming in for the time being. I'm also thinking of going back to school and taking some classes that relate to my major. The only issue is that it costs money which I don't have and I really don’t want to have anymore student loans. Some of my friends are even going through the same thing as well. I even heard some stories from my friends and relatives that with today's economy, it's taking people a couple of years before getting their “dream” job or a job right out of college. Just take it a day at a time. I know it's easier said than done but hang in there, follow your heart, keep doing what you're doing, and something will eventually break through.

    On a side note, I’m a huge fan of your Wicked FanFiction stories; I’ve read almost every one of them. I particularly love your current one, 40 Weeks. I even have a FanFiction profile (FaeYero4ever), however I don’t write any FanFiction unfortunately. I mainly have that profile to keep track of my favorite FanFiction stories. Like you I’m also an obsessed Wicked the Musical and at one point an obsessed Harry Potter fan. I still love Harry Potter but not much as I used to, probably ever since I saw Wicked for the first time. I’ve seen the musical 5 times now. I hate to admit it but every time you update a new chapter on one of your Wicked FanFiction stories, it makes my day better. Please keep writing them, you’re a very good writer and storyteller. Anyways, hang in there and in the words of Elphaba go “defy gravity.”

    Sincerely,

    FaeYero4ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete