Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Review: Silver Lining Playbook

So tonight I saw Silver Lining Playbook.  I saw the trailer when I went and saw Les Mis and although I'm not a huge Bradley Cooper fan, I thought it looked good. Plus, I like Jennifer Lawrence.

And it was a really good movie. At times it felt a little slow, but the cast was great and it was funny.

I actually found it a really interesting insight into mental illness (I hope that's the politically correct term) and especially bipolar, because of course, that's what Patrick (Bradley Cooper) and Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) suffer from. And although much of the laughs come from things that Pat or Tiffany say and do, it's not because the film makes light of them or mocks them.

It's just that the characters usually say or do exactly what they're thinking, which is funny. And sometimes it's exactly what you and I would want to say or do. One of my favourite moments (no spoilers that will ruin the plot!) is when Pat is reading Hemingway's Farewell to Arms. He reaches the end, and dissatisfied with the unhappy ending (apparently, I haven't actually read the book myself)- throws it out the window. Who hasn't read a book or seen a movie or a TV show or something and been so dissatisfied with the ending or something that happens, or a character that you want to throw the book?

I have. Many times. I never have, mostly because my mum (also a book lover) drilled it into me from the time I was born that "books are friends (not food. Sorry. Finding Nemo pun)."

It was also interesting to see how people treat people with mental illness. Pat has people staring at him openly through windows, and interestingly (and frustratingly, at least for me) was that whenever something happened and Pat was involved, he was never given the chance to explain his side of things. People (his parents, cops, etc) just immediately jumped in with a lecture about why would he do that and how bad it was.

The other interesting thing (maybe mild spoilers here, so if you don't want to know, just skip this paragraph), was that Pat's parents don't really seem to know how to treat their son, but his father has his own issues- namely major OCD. And that's a huge thing, especially regarding his relationship with Pat.

As I said, it felt a little slow at times, but other than that, I really enjoyed it. And I was excited to see Julia Stiles in a minor role. I haven't seen her in much lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment