Friday, April 20, 2012

Thank you to the Wicked cast

I’ve just gotten back to the hotel in Singapore after leaving the Stage Door of Marina Bay Sands, after seeing Wicked again, for the last time in Singapore.
This was my 3rd show in Singapore and 7th overall, and I still feel the magic as much as I did the first time, all the way back in June 2010. Over the past 3 years that I’ve known, loved and seen the show, there have been quite a few cast changes. All bring something new to the role that I know and love, and I always love the experience of new cast members.
But, as we’re leaving Singapore tomorrow night and by the time I get to see the show again (whenever I’m lucky enough to see it again, but I’m not expecting it to be until the Australian cast tour New Zealand in 2013), who knows how many cast changes will have occurred, I really wanted to take the time and thank the amazing Wicked cast- especially because I feel like a complete idiot for crying in front of most of them.
Some, like Jemma Rix (Elphaba), Elisa Colla (Nessarose), James D Smith (Boq) and Ryan Sheppard (Chistery), I’ve been lucky enough to see all 7 times and are all part of the reason I fell in love with the show and kept coming back.
Some, like David Harris (Fiyero), I have seen several times now and I’ve loved what he brings to Fiyero that actors before haven’t.
And some, like Suzie Mathers (Glinda), Glen Hogstrom (technically Dr Dillamond, but I’ve only seen him as the Wizard- where he was awesome) and Anne Woods (Madame Morrible), Singapore has been my first time seeing them in their roles, and again, I’ve loved seeing their portrayals of the characters, especially Suzie!
But I really wanted to thank the cast, ensemble members too (such as Gretel Scarlett). Not just for being amazing actors and singers, but for being lovely, amazing, friendly warm people. I haven’t had the opportunity to go to the stage door much before this trip, except for when I saw the show in Perth last August.
And I was so happy to meet you all. Thank you so, so much for taking the time to sign autographs, take photos (multiple photos), for the tweets and just for being willing to have a chat when I’m sure all you want to do is go home!
And to Jemma, Suzie, David, Elisa and Gretel, thank you for reading my letters! I express myself so much better on paper than in person, and I was actually incredibly nervous about writing the letters and giving them out. And for you all to actually read them, means so much.
This show means so much to me, I don’t even know if I can tell you. I’ve made so many amazing friends through the show who I am so incredibly lucky to have, and the messages in the story and music really speak to my heart.
It actually hurts a little, knowing this is the last time for a long time, because it feels like having to say goodbye to a very close friend. And not just the show itself, or the characters, but the cast have come to feel like almost family, if not close friends (twitter probably helps with that though, haha).
I mentioned in my letters that this year I’m living and teaching in a small country town in NSW. It’s my first time living out of home, away from my family and friends and of course, teaching. Although I only have six students, it’s a lot to deal with all at once.
There were several times, especially in the last few weeks of term, when the thought of this trip and seeing the show again, was all that was getting me through each day. I had hoped I’d get a chance to meet you all, and it was even so much greater than I’d ever imagined.
So, thank you for making my first overseas trip so memorable and special. And thank you just all the hard work you all put into the show and making sure it’s as magic and special every single time.
To be incredibly cheesy, clichéd and unoriginal, “It well may be/ that we will never meet again/ In this lifetime/So let me say before we part/ So much of me, is made from what I learned from you/ You'll be with me, like a handprint on my heart.”
So, thank you so much for everything and best wishes for Korea.
Love,
Carlie.
(AKA @carlie_dawn on twitter)

No comments:

Post a Comment