Sunday, July 15, 2012

Wicked Movie

So, there's been rumours for years that there was going to be a Wicked movie, but it was actually confirmed in 2010 that the film was in development, much to my excitement.

And then it went no where. I took to Googling for news every few days, and was sadly disappointed pretty much every few days.

I heard at one stage they were putting a script together (my first thought was "how long would that take? It's a musical- you already have a script!") and then that they were talking to directors.

So, it was apparently announced the other day that the movie finally has a director- Stephen Daldry, who also directed Billy Elliot, The Reader, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, with Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock. Now, I haven't actually seen any of those movies (the last 2 are on my list, I promise!) But I do know that all those movies (again, at least the last 2) were nominated or won Oscars. So, that's a good sign, right??

I've done a Google news search, and most of what I've read has been that Universal and the producers (also the producers of the musical, I'm pretty sure, which is another good sign!) are in talks with Daldry, but I'm being optimistic!

So, let's say we have a director (yes, I'm saying "we"). Next step is the cast, right? Which is going to be the hardest part and everyone is going to have an opinion on it.

I know a lot of fans are against having a movie in the first place. And I get that. Sitting in the theatre and seeing Elphaba rise in Defying Gravity or (in most cases)  seeing her rise from the floor in No Good Deed, it's absolute magic. Can that same magic be brought across on screen?
So, of course it won't be as good as sitting in the theatre and seeing it live. But there are many Wicked fans, or people who may want to see Wicked, that for whatever reason, can't get to a theatre to see it.

Maybe it's not in the country right now (I'm looking at you, Australian tour production- even if you do say you're coming back). Maybe it's not planning on coming to your country at all!
Or maybe it is in the country, but for money, distance or timing troubles, you can't go see it.
Should we be denied the chance to see it? In whatever format (besides crappy YouTube videos?), even if it is a movie that lacks some of the magic of live theatre?

And honestly, I'd be beyond thrilled if they just filmed a show like they did for the 25th anniversary of Phantom of the Opera or Love Never Dies, and released that in cinemas! You still get the magic of the theatre- but on a movie screen!

But back to the cast, I know many, many, many people (in real life, Facebook, Fanfiction.net, and Twitter) who are adamant the only people who could be cast are the Original Broadway Cast.
And I get those feelings, I do- absolutely. As the original cast, they all suit their characters perfectly. We (the fans) know that they can sing and act the roles.

But here's the thing: 

  • Elphaba and Galinda are supposed to be university students. Early twenties top. Idina and Kristin are in their 40s. On stage, the age gap doesn't matter so much. In film, it does. I've heard some suggestions that Lea Michele (Rachel on Glee for those who live under rocks :P) could be Elphaba in Act 1, and Idina in Act 2. But the gap between acts is only a few years, so that still wouldn't cover it.
  • As much as I love Idina as Elphaba, she's not my favourite (she's number 2, right behind Jemma Rix. Eden Espinosa is number 3, in case you were wondering). And I think Kristin is a great Glinda, (although I'm not a huge Kristin fan- sorry, guys!) but Kristin isn't even in my top 3 Glindas (it's Megan Hilty, Suzie Mathers, Lucy Durack). This could have something to do with the fact I have never seen Idina and Kristin live, YouTube does not do justice. 
  • I have been accused before of not being a "real" Wicked fan, because I dare to suggest that other people could play the roles and do it well. But my point is, there have been other amazing Elphaba and Glinda's (and the other roles too). 
Honestly, I hope the producers and directors make the decision and cast theatre actresses- preferably ones that have been in the show before! Even unknowns- fans will go see the movie because it's Wicked and it will spread via word of mouth, just like the musical did when it started! 
I feel like even fans who are against the movie will go see it, just so they can come out and say "I told you that was a bad idea." 

They could get away with casting big, Hollywood names (if Universal feels they absolutely have to have famous people in there) for some of the smaller roles (i.e. The Wizard- he has ONE song!). But for Elphaba and Glinda especially, I feel they need to cast the roles with people who can sing and act it- not just famous people that will get audiences to buy tickets.

(I'm slightly biased to champion Jemma Rix for Elphaba... well, pretty much the whole Australian cast, haha). 

And I know there are many people who say if we can't have Idina for Elphaba, what about Lea Michele. 
I think Lea could definitely sing the role (very important), but I don't really see her as Elphaba. You never know, they could cast her and she could surprise us all, but I don't see it. And don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Lea. But I'm not going to hope she gets it, just because I love her, Glee, Wicked and Elphaba. 

One suggestion for Fiyero that made me laugh was Zachary Levi (Flynn from Tangled). One suggestion that made me cringe was Taylor Swift for Glinda (Um, no). And one I've heard a lot is Anne Hathaway for Nessarose (which I think I'd be okay with, I'm just wondering if she'd be too old... but Nessa doesn't sing a lot, and the little she does, I think Anne could do it). 

So, are you for or against the Wicked movie? Who do you think should be cast? 


10 comments:

  1. Dude, Zachary Levi can sing. Like, WOAH.

    Just spitballing here, since I haven't seen Wicked, but if you're after people who can sing AND act (and you're not keen on Lea) then I would say Janel Parrish for Elphaba and Aly Michalka for Glinda. But I know nothing, just that both girls can sing and act their asses off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know,and I think he'd be good as Fiyero!

      I'll have to Google those 2 girls. And we SO need to go see Wicked when it comes back to Australia! :) I think you'd love it.

      Delete
  2. ZACHERY LEVI AS FIYERO OMG ASDFGHJKL
    I absolutely cannot stand the idea of Lea playing Elphaba. That would bring in a lot more Glee/Wicked crossover fics which honestly are mostly just cringe-worthy . Also, I don't think she's good enough for it.
    I think Annaleigh Ashford would be a great Glinda. But as you know, I'm very very VERY picky about my Elphaba's and I can't really think of a good enough actress to play her. But maybe that's just because you've got me thinking about Zachery Levi and he's probably the most all around perfect human being ever. Wow, he'd make a freaking great Fiyero.
    This is all assuming it's musicalverse. If it's bookverse than... Well, we'd better all just do a lot of praying.
    I'm not necessarily against the movie, but I do think it'd be better for theatre fans if they'd wait a few more decades for when Wicked isn't even on Broadway anymore, and it's impossible to see on stage. If everyone has Wicked at the press of a button, it might draw attention away from the stage show. And if there's a movie, all the theatre people might completely abandon Wicked because they figure there's simply no point. But with the same logic, it'd be awesome to watch Wicked every night as I curled into my pillow and cried every night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really like the thought of making a musical film out of 'Wicked' but then, it seems inevitable considering the popularity of the show. I would have welcomed a non-musical film based on the book with open arms. I think that would have been brilliant but I can see the problem with making a straight film adaptation from a such a dark book with some adult themes when people always tend to think of 'Wicked' as a family musical. I would love it if they filmed a stage performance and made a DVD out of that like they did with 'Rent'.

    Since they are making a musical film, I would rather that they would cast two unknown people as Elphaba and Glinda (at least Elphaba). I think the decision to cast Nikki Blonsky as the lead in 'Hairspray' was a brilliant one and casting famous people in other roles (Zac Efron, John Travolta etc.) made people buy tickets. I wouldn't mind having big names playing the supporting roles (inc. Fiyero). For Elphaba and Glinda they need two youngish people who can sing and act. I wouldn't mind them being a little older (25-28) as make-up can be used in amazing ways but I definitely think we can rule out Idina and Kristin - they are too old to play the parts on camera with close-ups and that. Personally I think the same could be said of quite a few people who have played the parts on stage. On stage it's so much more about the vocals because most people can't see the actors' faces in detail.

    I know there has been a lot of talk about Lea Michele playing Elphaba but I'm not too keen on that idea. I wouldn't mind her as Nessarose but she just doesn't come across to me as a good choice for Elphaba even if she has the voice.

    On another note, I am with you on what you're saying about Idina and Kristin not being your favourite Elphaba and Glinda (okay, I do love Kristin's Glinda but it's my sole favourite interpretation). They may have been the first people to play the parts on Broadway and therefore contributed extensively on the final appearance of the songs but that doesn't mean their interpretation is the only right way of doing it. I think it's a matter of personal taste. I find it silly when I see people online getting really heated up when someone dares to say Idina isn't their favourite Elphaba for example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything you wrote- except for the part about the book. Mostly because I didn't like the book.
      I thought it was well-written, but I just didn't like it.
      Admittedly, this could be because I read it after I saw the musical, but it's also because I find it hugely depressing.

      I know there were plans last year to make a mini-series of the book, and I'd watch THAT, but I'd definitely want the movie to be based on the musical.

      Thanks for your thoughts! :)

      Delete
  4. I definitely think Samantha Barks (Eponine in the upcoming Les Miz movie) could take on Elphaba there is a recording of her singing Defying Gravity but it was when she was only seventeen and her voice hadn't matured to the stage it is at today. She is currently twenty one. Also in regards to Lea Michelle as a business decision although she isn't my first choice she will bring her own fan base coupled with the musical's fan base and word of mouth and the box office will go through the roof so it would be a no brainer to put her in the role. She can sing it but I'd be worried about her acting.

    I think Jayne Wiesner who played Johanna from Sweeney Todd would be a great Galinda and could crack out some killer high notes even if they do have to change the key her range is already high anyway and she can do both an American and English accent and still looks college age. Likewise Emmy Rossum from Phantom's movie still looks young has the acting chops.

    Thirdly Annaleigh Ashford (Chelsea from That's so Raven and Belle from Beauty and the Beast on Broadway) still looks youthful enough to play a college student and previously auditioned for Glinda in Wicked on Broadway but her range could cover either role at theatre standard if they brought her in to audition.

    Katherine McPhee has the potential to play Glinda too and although she is in the same show as Megan Hilty she has the upper edge in youthful looks.

    The rest of the cast could do stunt casting or even look into Arron Tveit after he does the Les Miz movie. Likewise someone like Jonathan Groff could still do a good Fiyero. I know he's in Glee but he is actually good at both acting and singing and again has the glee fan following to ensure more numbers.

    I'd say the rest could be stunt casting. Someone like Daniel Radcliffe as Boq could be fun and he definitely has the voice and is short enough for it.

    Dick Van Dyke, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Christopher Waltz etc. could be the Wizard or Dillamond. I suspect the Wizard's and Dillamond's songs could be cut and replaced with dialogue so anyone could really play them.

    Morrible could be Meryl Streep, Glenn Close, Angela Langsbury, Carole Burnett, Judy Dench, Maggie Smith or any other actress with or without singing ability.

    Nessa could be an unknown or rising star. Someone like Emma Stone could be fun in that role.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One suggestion for Fiyero that made me laugh was Zachary Levi (Flynn from Tangled). One suggestion that made me cringe was Taylor Swift for Glinda (Um, no).Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love it if they made this a movie! Um I don't have any strong suggestions of who SHOULD play Elphaba and Glinda but I can give a pretty good list whom I know I don't want for them/do want for the others:)
    Samantha Barks as Elphaba: GOOD GOD, NO.I saw a screening of the Les Mis movie and she was the one thing about the cast that I really didn't like.Sure she could sing the part well,but if she couldn't handle making Eponine edgy then there's no way she could do it for Elphaba. As for Lea Michele...I'd be slightly more open to that but I'm just not getting a good feel for the idea (I know I'm not going off as much there :P)
    Taylor Swift as Glinda: Heavens no.Just...NO. Amanda Seyfried? Again that would be a little better but I actually think she'd be a better possibility for Elphaba (although that's unlikely). I think Sierra Boggess (from the 25th anniversary POTO) might be a good contender.
    Fiyero: Aaron Tveit.He's played the part beautifully.And he was great in Les Mis.I'd like to see him reprise the role.
    Nessa: ...I really don't know.If they wanted a 'safe' Nessa they could get Samantha Barks.I'd be okay with that.
    The Wizard: Hugh Jackman.By all means cast him.
    As much as I know a lot of fans want the original cast to reprise their roles I just don't see it happening.You're right they are too old now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Samantha Barks as Elphaba: GOOD GOD, NO.I saw a screening of the Les Mis movie and she was the one thing about the cast that I really didn't like.Sure she could sing the part well,but if she couldn't handle making Eponine edgy then there's no way she could do it for Elphaba.' I saw a screening of Les Miz too and all I could think was 'this bland, whiny girl is who people are suggesting for Elphaba?' She was not edgy enough and I honestly thought it was a razzie worthy performance (although I thought Crowe and to a lesser extent Seyfried were miscast too,but that had more to do with their voices,since they both acted their parts well...).
      Sorry I had to get that off my chest.I love the idea of Tveit as Fiyero because he WAS great in the LM movie,but I've never been to the states so I never saw him play the part.
      I'm kind of betting at this point Elphaba will be played by Anne Hathaway...which might be okay but I'd rather see a stage unknown.Sierra Boggess for Glinda-I like that idea! Meryl Streep or Olivia Newton John as Morrible.

      Delete
  7. Elphaba- Sorry people Lea Michele and after listening to the little mermaid soundtrack I learned Sierra Boggess can belt so maybe her
    Glinda- Hilty or Boggess would both be amazing
    Fiyero- Tveit all the way
    Wizard- Norbert Leo Butz would be great
    Morrible- Meryl Stereo or perhaps to see Menzel in this role
    Nessarose- Nays Rivera might be great

    ReplyDelete