Thursday, October 24, 2013

One Wonderful One Short Day

Kelly and I at Wicked!
My 8th and 9th show
Her 7th and 8th.
Last weekend Kelly and I went to Auckland to see Wicked. For a day. Literally.

We flew in from Sydney on Saturday morning, and flew out Sunday morning. It was absolutely, 100% worth it.
The plane. This is at 4.30 am



Me with Tom Handley and Ryan Sheppard (Ensemble)
 By this point, it had been 18 months since we last saw the show, in Singapore in April 2012 (actually to the day-which wasn't planned!). And it's not like we didn't want to stay longer, but unfortunately there's this thing called "work" which gets in the way of plans; and funnily enough they frown upon teachers having holidays during term unless you've been teaching for like 10 years. I think it's something to do with the 10 weeks holidays we get throughout the year :p

So, anyway, we couldn't get over there during school holidays, and the show wasn't going to be there by the time next school holidays rolls around, so it had to be a weekend trip, because we were not waiting until next May when it gets back to Melbourne.

The purpose of the trip was simple- we missed the show, we were impatient, we wanted to see the new cast members and this would be our last chance to see Suzie Mathers as Glinda, who is amazing (she's my 2nd favourite Glinda after Megan Hilty. 3rd is Lucy Durack), because she's not continuing past the Philippines season in early 2014.

As I said, the trip, as crazy as it was (time-wise) and as tired as I still am,  was totally worth it.
Our view. 

It kind of felt like we were seeing the show for the first time again, because it had been so long and because there were so many new faces.

Me with Glen Hogstrom (Dillamond)
Since the Australian production closed in Korea last October, Wicked has a new Fiyero, Boq, Nessarose, Standby Elphaba and Wizard, plus Melena (Witch's Mother), Chistery and numerous ensemble. And considering Stephen Schwartz has said this is the best production and cast he's seen since the Original Broadway Cast (so, ha! Kidding. But I am excited about that and very proud).
My dress for the matinee show

We saw both shows on Saturday, the matinee and the night show.


The matinee was interesting because not only was it the first time seeing the show in a year and with several new cast members, it was our first time seeing Wicked (live- meaning not on YouTube) with an Elphaba who was not Jemma Rix. But the new standby Elphaba is Ali Calder, who played Vivian in the Australian production of Legally Blonde and I loved her in that, so I was looking forward to seeing it. Plus, as much as I adore Jemma and firmly believe she's the best; I also believe to stand by that, I occasionally need to see others in the role.
My dress for the evening show. Very appropriate for the OzDust ballroom!

FYI, Jemma Rix is still the best.

But Ali is also really good.

Me with Maggie Kirkpatrick (Morrible)

We did Stage Door after both shows, and we got to meet the entire cast, which has never happened before! There's always been at least one person we missed or who wasn't on that show or something. Everyone was so nice, as per usual!

What I thought I'd do, for all the new cast members, is talk about one scene or moment that was the highlight of their character for me. Because otherwise I can only say is that- although different, I loved them all and I think by the time they get back to Australia next year, they should be even better.

Me with Steve Danielsen (Fiyero)
Steve Danielsen (Fiyero): Thank Goodness. He did the whole "surprise-engagement-party-without-actually-being-engaged" thing so well! And then when Morrible is talking, he keeps discreetly nudging Glinda in the side, as if to say "uh, WTF?". I can't describe it, but it was awesome. He also did Dancing Through Life really well and the whole "scandalacious" thing. If I had to pick a weak point... As Long as You're Mine, oddly enough. But only his solo verse. I don't know what it was... he was stronger in the duet part.

Me with Emily Cascarino (Nessa)
Emily Cascarino (Nessarose): Act 2. Emily did played Nessa as a bitch.... I mean a witch excellently. She was so cold. And in the beginning, at Shiz, she also did well as acting as though she was ashamed of Elphaba as her sister and all that. But compared to the former Nessa, Elisa Colla... I didn't sympathise with Nessa as much as I sometimes do. Like in the train station scene, for instance. But I still thought it was great.

Me with Ed Grey (Boq)
Ed Grey (Boq): Everything. I can't pick a highlight for Ed. He was just a fantastic little Munchkin and I adored him! I think he's my new favourite Boq.

Me with Jay Laga'aia (The Wizard)
Jay Laga'aia (The Wizard): Wonderful. I have never loved this scene so much. He was just great. It was funny, and I wasn't thinking "hurry up so Fiyero can come". I thought Jay did a brilliant job.

Ali Calder (Standby Elphaba): I don't know if I can pick a moment for Ali... she did a lot of little gestures and things through the whole show I just loved. She was a very smiley Elphaba in Act 1, which was different, but nice. Her Elphaba was very young and more open.
Me with Ali Calder (Standby Elphaba)

Jemma just is Elphaba in every single way, but Jemma is very much that Elphaba of keeping her shields up around her and only showing vulnerability in moments, which is how I picture Elphaba. Ali was much more open and seemingly more... trusting?

Me with Jemma Rix (Elphaba). The Greatest.
I'm not really sure how to word it. But it was interesting to watch, although I still prefer Jemma's. Ali has moved to my #4 Elphaba though (it goes Jemma, Idina, then Eden Espinosa before Ali).

Jemma truly is such an amazing Elphaba. Her voice is so incredible, and her acting is... as I said before, she is Elphaba. In every single way. Plus, she's so lovely in person. She's one of my favourite people I've ever met, and not just in terms of musical theatre people.
The second show may as well have been subtitled "The Jemma Rix fangirl show" because all I did was watch Jemma through every scene she was on.
It's always hilarious to watch, especially during any scene before she and Glinda are friends. Jemma has the best "Is this girl for real?" look to direct at Glinda any time Glinda is being... well, Glinda. In all her blondest
Partly because now having just seen Ali, I was refreshing myself with how Jemma does it. And also because she's amazing. Plus, I saw Jemma back in July when she did her cabaret show, and that was amazing; but there's something about seeing her as Elphaba. Plus, she sang no Wicked songs in her show, so I'd really missed hearing her sing Defying Gravity! 
Because Jemma is so much more experienced, (over 800 shows), she's a much stronger Elphaba, and... ok, I'm going to stop rambling now.


Actually during the second show, it only hit me during March of the Witch Hunters that I wouldn't be seeing Suzie again! And then I sobbed all through curtain call, both for Suzie and because it's now 199 days until I see it again.
Me and Suzie Mathers (Glinda)
I have seen Suzie 5 times as Glinda, and she's just fabulous. And she's so sweet, and friendly. I'm really going to miss her as Glinda, as much as I'm looking forward to seeing Lucy in the role again next year.

So that it's it. That was my weekend to Oz. So worth it, but I wish I could have stayed longer.
Auckland was a lovely place (although slightly chilly!) and we can't wait to go back to New Zealand one day and do all the touristy things! (AKA Lord of the Rings). 


No comments:

Post a Comment