Sunday, June 23, 2013

Idina Menzel: She's better than Beyonce.

Like a gazillion times better.

I just had the best night of my life.

Tonight was Idina Menzel's first Australian concert. And after eight months of planning and what feels like forever of dreaming, I got to finally see her in concert.

It was even more amazing than I ever imagined. Idina is so sweet, and funny, and amazing and it was the most amazing musical experience of my life. And of course, she has the most amazing voice.

She sang everything from Wicked to RENT, from Joni Mitchell to a bit of U2. I won't give away the whole set list, but it has something for everyone.

Admittedly, I started crying the second she started singing, and I have a severe headache right now from a lack of oxygen. For those who don't know me, and who I just really confused with that sentence, when I get super excited or something amazing happens, my brain forgets how to do basic functions- such as breathing. Remember breathing? That in and out, oxygen to the brain thing? Yeah, I didn't do a lot of that.

The most amazing thing was the emotional journey Idina took us on through the music. The show contained some absolutely beautiful and tender tributes to Marvin Hamlisch and Jonathon Larson, which I know inspired a few tears through the audience.

Speaking of the audience, Idina interacted with us a lot, which was awesome. She made a new friend in the front row, haha. She also sang Take me or leave me with three amazing audience members, who sang- as Idina said, "with harmonies!"

She also sang two of her own songs- 'I Stand' and a new song that she's been working on, which was so beautiful and was one of those aforementioned not-breathing moments. And on another note, 'I stand' sounds even more amazing with a full symphony.

Also, Idina is hilarious. Within the first five minutes of being on stage, she'd already complimented the ass of the conductor and made fun of her own word slip- confusing "element" for "elephant". She's so genuine and down to earth, and when she talks about her son, she just beams. There were so many little moments that happened that I will cherish the memory of forever.

Of course, she sang 'Defying Gravity', which was... I was a little worried beforehand that seeing it live would take away from listening to the Barefoot at the Symphony CD, but it didn't. It was just spell-binding, and such a once in a lifetime opportunity to actually hear her sing it live.

That was her first encore, and then she came back and sang an absolutely beautiful song that is (at this stage anyway) in her new musical If/Then, and 'Somewhere' from Glee. 

At one stage in the evening, she was talking about Beyonce, and someone called out "You're better than Beyonce" and she said "that's what the reviews will say- 'She's better than Beyonce.'" Hence, the title of this post.

So, yes, Idina is better than Beyonce. It was such a honour and a privilege to get to see her and listen to her. I'm so grateful and happy that Idina finally gets to perform in Australia! Hopefully, she'll come back!

I can't wait until Wednesday when I get to see her perform in Sydney! Also, now I get to cross off "See Idina Menzel in concert" and "Meet Idina Menzel" off my bucket list!



No comments:

Post a Comment