Sunday, June 10, 2012

Historical lesson!

Time is a funny thing in Oz. It's hard to discern just what kind of era it's set in, in terms of fashion and technology.

Now, most people probably don't really care about that, but as a writer, I want to get these things write- even just for fanfiction. It honestly bugs me a little when people have Elphaba and Galinda wearing jeans and using laptops and mobile phones (cell phones for you Americans), because it just doesn't sit well with me.

Don't get me wrong, if I like the story I'll read it nonetheless and if it's a modern adaptation of Wicked that's different.

We don't have many clues as to the time period. I always picture it sometime around the 1900-1940s era. I have a feeling this is mostly because the book of The Wizard of Oz was written in 1900 and the movie came out in 1939, but also because some of the costumes (Elphaba's act 2 dress, Fiyero's Shiz uniform in the Lion Cub scene) just remind me of that kind of era (probably closer to 1900 than 1940).

And then there's the fact that time in Oz seems to be different than our world. Of course, my only foundation for this is that in Out of Oz when Dorothy comes back to Oz she's about 18 (I haven't actually read the book yet, but I've read a summary) whilst the book focuses on Elphaba's granddaughter.

Given that the majority of my stories are set at Shiz, technology isn't a huge problem for me. But occassionally I have to write something, and I have to think "would they have these in Oz?"

Like, for example, a refrigerator.

Well, I'm going to say yes.

Did you know, the first refrigerator for home and domestic use was invented in 1913? And they began to be mass produced in 1918?

Of course, "These home units usually required the installation of the mechanical parts, motor and compressor, in the basement or an adjacent room while the cold box was located in the kitchen." (according to Wikipedia. Not usually the most academic source of information, I know. But for fanfiction, I'm going to allow it). This changed in 1922-23 when they became more self-contained and compact although they were about $700, which was more than a car at the time!

So there's your fun fact for the day! 

Now I feel incredibly boring. I actually find this kind of interesting. You probably do not.


5 comments:

  1. I find it fascinating and I completely agree with you! Sometimes I think setting the story in modern times works, for example when I wrote Flight Delay, I wanted everything to be relateable. But yeah, I know where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, for Flight Delay it worked. And besides, didn't the Wright Brothers create the first plane in like 1903 or something? So it kind of works! (Even though I think yours were more modern than theirs, lol). BTW, hows the sequel to that coming?

      Delete
  2. Yes, I find that some people do screw with the Oz Time ion fan stuff (Ironic - as I type I am also writing my own modern-ish interpretation of Oz... Modern as in they have gas lights and buses) but I have to pick an ever so slight hole in your argument about the 1900s being the period...

    My reasoning: Elphie's Defying Gravity / Emerald City wear. This sort of dress comes from the late 1800's - probably around 1890 as that's when they made the dresses look EXACTLY like this one.

    HOWEVER Glinda's Emerald City dress does not appear to be from the same period...

    I reckon that you are right about the rough time period in Oz, but maybe fashions and advancements work differently there... In the book, Elphaba walks around wearing a huge brown cloak - but this is described as being ridiculous by Boq.

    Hmmm.... Very mysterious I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you about the Emerald City dress (and by extension her act 2 dress). I always think of it as "Anne of Green Gables type dress" in my head, which is why I said closer to 1900... and back a few decades, lol.

      And Galinda's fashion is a lot more modern than Elphaba's, which is why it's so hard to judge by the clothing.

      I always laugh at Boq in the book when he's making fun of Elphaba's cloak.

      Delete
  3. I know at some point in the book, one of the girls considers it "indecent" to have your ankles showing around a boy. I'm not good at knowing what time that was, but I know it was a long time ago. However, in the musical, Glinda wears what normal girls would probably wear at our school dances now. So, I don't know. But I think about it to. One story I read gave Elphaba the equivelent of an iPod and it annoyed me to no end.

    ReplyDelete