Saturday, January 7, 2012

This is the Moment

OK, so as pretty much everyone knows, I'm obsessed with Wicked. But that doesn't mean I don't love other musicals.

There was always a wide variety of music playing in our house growing up, and I remember when I was about 7, my mum was given this video which she watched a lot. 


It was called The Main Event, and it was the video of a concert put on together by 3 of Australia's biggest performers, Olivia Newton-John (Yes, Sandy from Grease and who was on Glee); John Farnham (don't think American's know who this, but he's an Australian legend); and Anthony Warlow, who is huge in the Aussie theatre world.

Anthony Warlow sang this song, which I'd never heard before 'This is the Moment'. It's only in recent years I learned this was from a musical (Jekyll and Hyde, which I haven't seen), but I love the song.


And then yesterday, I found this version of it, sang by Anthony Callea, runner up of Australian Idol in 2005 and original Boq in the Australian production of Wicked. 




So, this was what inspired my first Glee fic by the same name.

Also, if you don't know who John Farnham is and doubt my statement that he's an Australian music legend, this is proof.

This is video of Coldplay performing probably John Farham's most famous song You're the Voice, with John Farnham for a disaster fund (it was either the Victoria bushfires or the Queensland floods, I forget which). As seen, the crowd goes nuts and every Australian knows this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment