Sunday, January 8, 2012

Munchkin Pirates?

I've loved The Wizard of Oz since I was 5 years old. My video is so worn out that when Dorothy's in Kansas before the tornado comes, the picture goes in and out; so I had to buy the DVD a few years ago.

My favourite character was always the Scarecrow (so seeing Wicked made me very happy for that reason), but my favourite scene- even more than where Dorothy meets the Scarecrow, was the Ding Dong! The Witch is dead scene.

That's also my favourite song... just because it's fun and because we're new to Oz still in that moment, all the colour is amazing.

I've used bits from this scene in 2 different Fiyeraba's, Falling In and Taking Chances (OK, one is sequel to the other, but it's still a separate story!)

So, you can imagine my excitement when Rachel and Kurt sang this song on Glee. And maybe it was the arrangement, but I noticed something I'd never noticed before so had to go look up the original lyrics.

The part I want to draw your attention to is this:

"She's gone where the goblins go, Below - below - below. Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out."
Specifically, I'm curious about the "Yo-ho" part. 


I only know one type of person who ever says "Yo-ho"


So, my question is (yes, this question was born whilst I was at work, and I am very tired and kinda hypo, but go with it).

Are Munchkins' pirates? Or did whoever write the lyrics just get stuck on what to rhyme "go" or "below" with?

Thoughts? 



3 comments:

  1. As soon as I read Munchkin Pirates I immediately thought of some normal sized pirate looking down at a Munchkin pirate saying, "Outta my way, yah scurvy little ankle bitter!" And I thought that was funny.

    The Jazzmeister XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Munchkin pirates ahead: http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Jackson-Games-1459-Munchkin/dp/B003S9W4DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327425531&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha you know, i never really thought about it, but being an English major in College (I am assuming is the American version of Uni) I know how hard it is to find rhymes to some things, so I think it might be both and it leads to amusing blog posts such as this :)

    ReplyDelete