Saturday, January 10, 2015

Wicked movie rumours 2016

Rumours about the Wicked movie are nothing new. I've been hearing about them since I first found Wicked in 2010.
Then, it was going to be released in 2014.

Rumours have kicked off 2015 by saying that the movie will be released in 2016. It's all over the internet (this is just one article of 100, but they all pretty much say the same thing), but I'm not getting excited. Yet. Here is why:

1. These aren't the first rumours we've heard. 

They've been floating around for years and since the success of Frozen and Idina Menzel's become more popular among the mainstream, the rumours have only peaked.

They're going to cast Idina; they're not going to cast Idina; they want Lea Michele for Elphaba (I have mixed feelings about this, but mostly towards 'no'. Can she sing it? Hell yes. Can she act it? ... I'm not convinced); Harry Styles will be Fiyero (No offence to 1D fans, but... please no); etc, etc.

It took until last year that Stephen Schwartz finally said they were "gearing up"to make it and looking at the script to make the screenplay.

It's like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. There might actually be a wolf in the village this time, but I'll need to see a few missing sheep before I believe it.

2. If you read the article... 
"[A 2016 release date] is the goal, but I don’t know whether we’ll make that goal or not. We will make the movie, but like I said, the bar is really high. We’re going to scrutinise our work on the screenplay and our prep on the movie, and when we feel like it’s ready, okay. We’re not going to shoot to a release date is what I’m saying. It’s in the works, it’s not in a rush."
That is a quote from producer Marc Platt. 2016 is the goal. He doesn't know if they'll make that goal. "It's in the works, it's not in a rush."

This supports so many months worth of articles where Platt, Schwartz or anyone else involved with the musical has stated that it's not a priority to make the movie- especially when the musical continues to do so well all around the world.

So, until we get a 100% official release date, I'm not holding my breath. Anything could happen between now and then.


3. Timing

You know what else is coming out 2016? Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. 
FB is coming out in November of next year. Which means Wicked would have to be on a similar time frame to be released next year, if not further advanced- depending on when in 2016 it would be released.

There was an article on FB the other day that said they're planning to start filming late this summer (Northern Hemisphere summer, that is). We don't have a FB cast either, but it's expected in the next few months, from what I understand.

Now, I'm assuming FB would have more special effects than the Wicked movie (but I guess that depends on what they actually do with the Wicked movie), which I'm assuming means more time in post-production to do all the effects? (Yes? Film people correct me if I'm wrong).

But either way, to be released in 2016, I'm assuming Wicked would have to be filmed at least in the same time period, maybe a bit later?

So if we don't have any casting news by mid-year, I'm assuming the movie will be delayed past 2016.


I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, and everything will go according to plan. Maybe 2016 will be the year. This is just my opinion, and I'm not exactly an expert on the film industry and how it works. And I do definitely want there to be a movie, mostly to help my pain once Wicked finishes it's run in Australia this year.

In a perfect world, everyone would agree on the cast and be thrillified, but I can't see that happening either.

I'm nervous about casting and wary about changes, but I will reserve judgement until I see the movie- whenever that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment