Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Album Review: Taylor Swift "1989"

Yesterday, the world finally got to hear Taylor Swift’s new album, 1989, her first dedicated pop album.
I have to be honest and say I was a little apprehensive. So often in the 21st century “pop” has essentially translated to “dance” music; and I can’t say I’m a huge fan of that.
Whenever I try and describe what kind of music I like, I always seem to think of this scene from Music and Lyrics:
 Alex Fletcher: It doesn’t have to be perfect. Just spit it out. They’re just lyrics.Sophie Fisher: “Just lyrics”?Alex Fletcher: Lyrics are important. They’re just not as important as melody.Sophie Fisher: I really don’t think you get it.Alex Fletcher: Oh. You look angry. Click your pen.Sophie Fisher: A melody is like seeing someone for the first time. The physical attraction. Sex.Alex Fletcher: I so get that.Sophie Fisher: But then, as you get to know the person, that’s the lyrics. Their story. Who they are underneath. It’s the combination of the two that makes it magical.
I am not a musician. Of any kind. I have absolutely zero musical talent. I am the daughter of a musician, but those genes apparently skipped me and went to all three of my siblings. But hey, I can read really fast, so I have that going for me at least, right?
However, despite my lack of music talent or knowledge, I support this quote and this theory completely. Any song that makes my favourites list, it’s because the lyrics speak to me.
And I feel that so many “pop” songs often lose something from the lyrics when the tune is all bass, auto tune, etc. Give me a piano, a guitar and some strings with vocals any day.
So, when Taylor announced her new album was going to be pop, I was slightly wary.
I adored Shake it Off, so that made me hopeful. I thought Out of the Woods and Welcome to New York were catchy, but they didn’t grab me. My favourite part of Out of the Woods was the bridge, and I’m not a huge fan of songs where 2 lines repeated make a chorus.
I got the album yesterday afternoon (the deluxe edition) and after a few listens since then, I’ve decided upon my Top 5 Tracks:

  1. I Wish You Would
  1. Shake it Off
  1. Wonderland
  1. How You Get the Girl
  1. Style

In all the reviews I’ve read thus far, there’s been a lot talk about Blank Space and Bad Blood. I really did like Blank Space, but I don’t think it’s one of my faves.
But I honestly did not like Bad Blood. Just wasn’t my style. That’s all.
When I get a new album, I always go through and rate each song on my iTunes.
5 Stars= amazing.
4 Stars= love it
3 Stars= it’s good.
2 Stars= it’s ok, but probably won’t go on my iPod
1 Star= not my kinda thing/don’t like it.
Here’s how 1989 rounded out
1989
 Overall, I really enjoyed 1989, although I think Red may still be my favourite Taylor Swift album.

No comments:

Post a Comment