Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Right Thing To Do

After jumping between two or three different fics since I finished writing Don't Tell the Bride, I think my brain has finally decided to stick with one.

Which means my next fic (meaning multi-chapter fic) will (hopefully, officially) be The Right Thing To Do.

Summary: It's a matter of honour, of doing good. But sometimes doing the 'right thing' hurts more than anything. Especially when it comes to love. As they graduate Shiz, Fiyero is dreading it. He knows what comes next- marriage. But he knows he can't marry a woman, when he's in love with her best friend. While everyone is spending the summer at Kiamo Ko, waiting for an announcement, Fiyero decides he can no longer live a lie. And then all hell breaks loose, and no one will escape being hurt. All in the name of doing the right thing. AU.

I say hopefully because while, at the moment, I am on a roll (ie. I've done three chapters), this is a fic that's been planned since May 2012 and it's been hard just to get to this point.

It was inspired by a Gilmore Girls scene (no, I'm not telling you which one because that would give away the plot twist), and the reason it's been so long is not because it involves research (for once. It's a refreshing change!); but just because... well, it has some things that are going to be unpopular. Not in a "Elphaba-has-cancer" way, just... it's not your typical "Elphaba and Fiyero get together, have some drama and live happily ever after" story that is generally my thing.

I mean, there will be a happy ending (it is me, after all); but it was hard to work out the ending to make it Fiyeraba, happy and resolve the plot.

Even now, there's times I'm unsure about it; because I want it to be realistic and not seem too easy. But I've run the plot by about 10 different people and they all think it's fine and will work. So I think I just have to keep reminding myself of that!

This story is high stakes for me. Maybe more so than Come What May, and we all know how that story goes.

Anyway, I just wanted to update you all on what's coming up. My goal is to have finished this by my birthday in May. We'll see how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. More so than Come What May? Wow. Now I'm really curious!
    The thing is, the plot sounds awesome; and I think you can get away with doing things that will be 'unpopular'. You've tried different types of stories before, haven't you? (I'm especially thinking 'One Night With The King' right now.) And they worked out well... so I personally am really looking forward to reading this one! :)

    ReplyDelete