Sunday, July 28, 2013

Jemma Rix: The Random Variety

I have really missed hearing Jemma Rix sing.

I've known this, but I don't think I realised how much I missed it until Saturday night when we went to The Butterfly in Melbourne to see Jemma's cabaret show The Random Variety.

The best kind of random 

It was such a fantastic night, and so worth all the travelling (from Tamworth to Melbourne) and the lack of sleep.

Jemma's voice is so strong and beautiful, and made me even more excited (if possible) to see Wicked again. Seriously, Jemma can sing everything, as the show demonstrated over the course of an hour.

I could just say the whole night was awesome and amazing (and it was), but I had some definite highlights.

Also, she looked really pretty- as always :)
  1. Jemma singing "With You" from Ghost, the musical. Such a gorgeous song and she was so in character... she looked like she was about to cry, which made me almost cry, and it's this whole thing. 
  2. A mash-up of "Quiet" from Matilda the musical, and "Titanium". Wow. They actually combined so well, and it sounded fantastic. 
  3. A Romeo and Juliet musical made with Rihanna songs, which I would totally pay to see. It was awesome. And also, Jemma could totally be Juliet. 
  4. The song that started the show, an original song written by David Young (or DY), and ending with a medley of all sorts of songs of all genres. It was just fun, and such a high energy way to start the show.
  5. Jemma also demonstrated her Japanese skills with a few Wicked lines, which always sounds funny. I've seen it on YouTube, but it was still great to hear. 
  6. The random fact that Jemma did highland dancing for 8 years! Like competitions and everything! How cool is that?! 
I think they were all my most favourite bits... but every song was enjoyable and sung beautifully. She did some pop, and some show tunes... a little bit of everything, and really showed how versatile she is as an artist (wow, I've been watching The Voice too much, LOL).


And fully supported what so many Wicked fans have been saying for ages, that Jemma absolutely needs an album. Because I could listen to her voice all day. I actually told Jemma that after the show and she said she'd love to, and you never know! One day, it could happen! 

I always love seeing Jemma, because she's so sweet. We had decided that this, being her first cabaret type show, her first thing that's just her and not a character, deserved to be celebrated; so we'd gone shopping that day for the perfect gift for her. And man, did we find the perfect gift.

IT'S A WIZARD OF OZ MINIATURE TEA SET!!!! How perfect is that??
Oh, and also- the Butterfly Club itself- wow, I love that place. We will definitely going back. The atmosphere is awesome and it's so beautiful! I wish I'd taken more pictures of the interior, but I had to get a photo of this painting... just because it looks like there should be a secret door behind it.

Or maybe I just read Harry Potter too much...

Anyway, to sum up: the Butterfly Club is a very cool and beautiful place, and Jemma Rix is the greatest. The End.

Me and Jemma :)

No comments:

Post a Comment